Sunday, September 20, 2009

People from Honalee


The death of Mary Travers of Peter Paul and Mary inspired the music play list creators to retrieve many fine selections from this group. This morning "Puff the Magic Dragon" greeted my waking ears.

Are we, the boomers born in the early 50's, people from Honalee? Little Jackie Paper loved that dragon Puff. I think many of my contemporaries were "turned -on" by flights of the imagination to better places where "peace, love and non violence" (remember Woodstock?) would be the way of life. I think our generation worked to battle racism, poverty and discrimination. Imagination is a powerful tool. Our grandchildren will need much imagination. They will have many challenges. Our children are taking charge. They have the skills and knowledge. They have varied experience. The wisdom they need will develop and I suggest that taking our grandchildren to Honalee might be a great start.

Today, Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time we are reminded "Then he took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, he said to them, ‘Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.’ "(Mark 9:37-38)
We can imagine ourselves in this scene from Scripture. The child in this story did not have any status in the society. This reminds the "Woodstock generation" of the ideals which we hoped would lead to the action of breaking down walls and levelling the playing field. Today's child will be our opportunity to reopen imagination and "Puff" rediscover the Divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment