Saturday, June 3, 2023

Wisdom and Authority

The texts from the Roman Catholic Lectionary today invite us to be grateful for the gift of Wisdom that is activated by the Spirit to guide our actions on our journey.


Wisdom Guide


The reading from the Book of Sirach offers Praise and an Autobiographical Poem on Wisdom.


* [51:1330] A Hebrew manuscript from Qumran demonstrates the acrostic style of vv. 1320. This is an elegant twenty-three-line alphabetic acrostic hymn that describes Ben Sira’s relationship to wisdom: (a) his approach to wisdom through prayer, persistent study, and instruction (vv. 1317); (b) his purification from sin, his enlightenment, and ardent desire to possess wisdom (vv. 1822). Ben Sira concludes with an urgent invitation to his students to receive instruction in wisdom from him, and to live by it, because wisdom gives herself to those who seek her (vv. 2326); and for their labor, God will reward them in his own time (vv. 2730). Cf. Mt 11:28; Eccl 12:14. (Sirach, CHAPTER 51, n.d.)


Psalm 19 praises God’s Glory in Creation and the Law.


* [Psalm 19] The heavenly elements of the world, now beautifully arranged, bespeak the power and wisdom of their creator (Ps 19:27). The creator’s wisdom is available to human beings in the law (Ps 19:811), toward which the psalmist prays to be open (Ps 19:1214). The themes of light and speech unify the poem. (Psalms, PSALM 19, n.d.)


In the Gospel of Mark, Jesus’ Authority Is Questioned


* [11:2733] The mounting hostility toward Jesus came from the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders (Mk 11:27); the Herodians and the Pharisees (Mk 12:13); and the Sadducees (Mk 12:18). By their rejection of God’s messengers, John the Baptist and Jesus, they incurred the divine judgment implied in Mk 11:2733 and confirmed in the parable of the vineyard tenants (Mk 12:112). (Mark, CHAPTER 11, n.d.)



Nancy Shirley (2011) comments that the wisdom we so desperately seek, is so evident in the divine.


Jesus approaches each situation with a calm, simplistic way.  He is able to ask one or two questions and immediately the others have to re-think their stand.  As the elders try to trap Him by demanding his source of authority, Jesus turns the table with his question requiring them to address the ultimate authority.  The elders are torn between heavenly and earthly origins.  It is the struggle between masters that we all experience daily.  If we truly ascribe to Heaven’s authority then how can we not believe and behave accordingly?


I will continue to pray for Wisdom as I do countless times each day. So many of the decisions required of me will fall short with only knowledge regardless of the depth of that knowledge, wisdom is needed to provide the context and guide the application.   I know I will experience “joy in my heart” when I direct my soul to seeking Wisdom and to listening to the song it sings. (Shirley, 2023)



Don Schwager quotes “Fearing the truth,” by Augustine of Hippo, 354-430 A.D.


"Fearing a stoning, but fearing more an admission of the truth, they answered the truth with a lie, reminiscent of the Scripture: 'injustice has lied within herself' (Psalm 27:12). For they said, 'We know not.' And because they had shut themselves up against him, by asserting that they did not know what they knew, the Lord did not open up to them because they did not knock. For it has been said, 'Knock and it will be opened to you' (Matthew 7:7; Luke 11:9). But they not only had not knocked that it might be opened, but by their denial they barricaded the door itself against themselves. And the Lord said to them, 'Neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things' (Matthew 21:27; Mark 11:33; Luke 20:7). (excerpt from TRACTATE ON JOHN 2.9.4) (Schwager, n.d.)


The Word Among Us Meditation on Sirach 51:12-20 comments that because we can never be too wise, we should never stop praying for wisdom. Today, let’s make that our prayer.


“Lord, give me the wisdom to put you first in my life. May I wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night with your praise on my lips. May I look to you to lead me, and may I follow you wherever you are calling me—even if it’s a road I’d rather not take.


“Lord, I need wisdom to understand the hearts of my loved ones. May I be sensitive to their feelings and struggles. Give me the wisdom to accompany them in all their trials.


“Lord, make me wise so that I know when to speak and when to stay silent. And when I do speak, let my words be a blessing to those who hear them.


“Lord, give me the wisdom to know how important it is to follow your commandments. Even when I struggle with obeying them, help me to see how they are always for my ultimate good. And when I fail, give me the wisdom to know that you will always welcome me back to you.


“Lord, help me to understand that life is short and that this world is passing away. May I value the things of heaven more than I value the things of this world. May I live with my death always in view so that I do not have regrets when you call me to yourself.”


“Lord, source of all wisdom, make me wise so that I may glorify you!”




Friar Jude Winkler comments on the structure of the poem of Sirach concerning the pursuit of Wisdom that is written to enable easier recall. Wisdom is shown in the cleverness of Jesus' response to the elders concerning His authority. Friar Jude notes how Jesus is truly filled with God’s Wisdom that was highly esteemed in his time.



Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM, introduces spiritual teacher and CAC friend Mirabai Starr who guides us in a prayer to God using feminine language.


 

We invite you to breathe intentionally for a few moments, feel your breath as it moves through your body, and receive the words of this prayer. 

Beloved One 

Shekinah 

Indwelling  

Feminine Presence 

Immanence 

Embodiment 

Mother-Heart 

Please come flowing into every open window in our souls right now, 

as we call to you.  

Infuse every cell of our bodies with your fierce and tender Mother-Wisdom.  

Give us the strength to speak truth to power in these fractured times.  

Give us the tenderness and humility to listen deeply 

to those that we are conditioned to otherize. 

And remind us again and again when we forget that we belong to each other,  

and we belong to you.  

Amen. (Rohr, 2023)


We share Wisdom as a gift of the Spirit that informs our action through mindful attention to the signs of the times.



References

Mark, CHAPTER 11. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved June 3, 2023, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/mark/11

Meditation on Sirach 51:12-20. (n.d.). The Word Among Us: Homepage. Retrieved June 3, 2023, from https://wau.org/meditations/2023/06/03/698850/ 

Psalms, PSALM 19. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved June 3, 2023, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/psalms/19?8 

Rohr, R. (2023, June 3). The Holy Spirit: Weekly Summary — Center for Action and Contemplation. Daily Meditations Archive: 2023. Retrieved June 3, 2023, from https://cac.org/daily-meditations/the-holy-spirit-weekly-summary-2023-06-03/ 

Schwager, D. (n.d.). Who Gave You This Authority? Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations – Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations. Retrieved June 3, 2023, from https://www.dailyscripture.net/daily-meditation/?ds_year=2023&date=jun3 

Shirley, N. (2023, June 3). Creighton U. Daily Reflection. Online Ministries. Retrieved June 3, 2023, from https://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/060323.html 

Sirach, CHAPTER 51. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved June 3, 2023, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/sirach/51?12 


No comments:

Post a Comment