Saturday, January 21, 2023

Extraordinary Position

The texts from the Roman Catholic Lectionary today challenge us to accept our call to be disciples of Jesus who are led by the Spirit to aspire to life beyond ordinary.


Unique Path


The reading from the Letter to the Hebrews proclaims the Sacrifice of Jesus to purify our conscience from dead works.


* [9:1114] Christ, the high priest of the spiritual blessings foreshadowed in the Old Testament sanctuary, has actually entered the true sanctuary of heaven that is not of human making (Heb 9:11). His place there is permanent, and his offering is his own blood that won eternal redemption (Heb 9:12). If the sacrifice of animals could bestow legal purification (Heb 9:13), how much more effective is the blood of the sinless, divine Christ who spontaneously offered himself to purge the human race of sin and render it fit for the service of God (Heb 9:14). (Hebrews, CHAPTER 9, n.d.)


Psalm 47 praises God’s Rule over the Nations.


* [Psalm 47] A hymn calling on the nations to acknowledge the universal rule of Israel’s God (Ps 47:25) who is enthroned as king over Israel and the nations (Ps 47:69). (Psalms, PSALM 47, n.d.)


In the Gospel of Mark, the Blasphemy of the Scribes follows the assertion that ‘He has gone out of his mind.’


* [3:2035] Within the narrative of the coming of Jesus’ relatives (Mk 3:2021) is inserted the account of the unbelieving scribes from Jerusalem who attributed Jesus’ power over demons to Beelzebul (Mk 3:2230); see note on Mk 5:2143. There were those even among the relatives of Jesus who disbelieved and regarded Jesus as out of his mind (Mk 3:21). (Mark, CHAPTER 3, n.d.)



Mirielle Mason comments that we know Jesus hears this advice, but what does He do with it? He appreciates it, but respectfully declines it and teaches a lesson. When faced with difficulty within a family we must set boundaries, and do so compassionately yet firmly.


Lastly, I am reminded that family is not determined by blood. We choose our family. We may choose the people genetically related to us, or we may not. In this scripture, Jesus makes very clear that the disciples are his companions, and all who do the will of God are family to Him. Not all of us are blessed with a healthy nuclear family. Sometimes, we have to search for one. I would like to encourage those in this situation to be empowered, instead of burdened, by this choice. Those who are true family make themselves known, and we should never forget that we all have a family in Christ and His followers. (Mason, n.d.)



Don Schwager quotes “Jesus' worried kinfolk,” by Jerome (347-420 AD).


"In the Gospel we read that even his kinsfolk desired to bind him as one of weak mind (Mark 3:21). His opponents also reviled him saying, 'You are a Samaritan and have a devil' (John 8:48)." (excerpt from LETTER 108, TO EUSTOCHIUM) (Schwager, n.d.)



The Word Among Us Meditation on Mark 3:20-21 comments that, in some ways, God still remains “hidden” today—in his followers. He doesn’t always reveal himself in flashy demonstrations of power or bursts of heavenly glory. But he does reveal himself in the ordinary, in our works of love and mercy. These works won’t bring you power, fame, or wealth, but that’s okay. There’s a different power at work in those who minister in his name, the power to change human hearts.


So seek out the Lord Jesus hidden in the Eucharist, in the priest hearing your confession, in the prayerful reading of the Bible, and in parents loving their families. Find him in a friend’s compassion, in your spouse’s patience, and in the distressing disguise of the poor. Jesus is there. He sees and inhabits them all. He sees and values your own hidden sacrifices, too. He is humble enough to be “hidden” within you.


“Jesus, open my eyes to see you. Make me like you, Lord.” (Meditation on Mark 3:20-21, n.d.)



Friar Jude Winkler comments on how the passage from Hebrews compares the Holy of Holies in the sanctuary to sanctification in the Blood of Jesus. The Gospel from Good Friday details how Jesus opened the veil separating the people from God. Friar Jude reminds us of the sword piercing the thoughts of Mary as the Son of God is revealed in her child.


Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM, offers “I Am” by poet Dedan Gills (1945–2015) as a contemplation on the theme of Nothing Stands Alone.

 

I am old and wise as the night. I am as beautiful as a bird in flight.

I am the moon and the sea. I am the robin and the bee. I am the soil and I am the tree.

I’m the lion and the gazelle. I am heaven and I am hell. I am the ring and I am the bell.

I am the joy and I am the tear. I am the brave and I am the fear.

I am the blistering desert. I’m the freezing snow.

I’m the cringing coward and the gentle hero.

I’m the aged and I am the young. I am the weak and I am the strong.

I am the smile and I am the frown. I am the pauper and I am the crown.

I am the wrong and I am the right. I am the day and I am the night.

I am now and I am never. I am yesterday and I am forever.

I am the bitter and I am the sweet. I live on the hill and I live on the street.

I am the top and I am the bottom. I am Martin, Hitler, Gandhi, and Saddam.

I am red, black, yellow, brown, and white. I love, hate, laugh, cry, and fight.

All the universe is reflected in me. I am all that ever was and ever will be.

When I lose, it’s the lesson that I win. Judging others is my sin. (Rohr, 2022)



We trust that seeking to live with extraordinary love and compassion is our mission regardless of cultural claims of impracticality and foolishness.



References

Hebrews, CHAPTER 9. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved January 21, 2023, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/hebrews/9?2 

Mark, CHAPTER 3. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved January 21, 2023, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/mark/3 

Mason, M. (n.d.). Creighton U. Daily Reflection. Online Ministries. Retrieved January 21, 2023, from https://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/012123.html 

Meditation on Mark 3:20-21. (n.d.). The Word Among Us: Homepage. Retrieved January 21, 2023, from https://wau.org/meditations/2023/01/21/589074/ 

Psalms, PSALM 47. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved January 21, 2023, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/psalms/47?2 

Rohr, R. (2022, December 31). Summary: Nothing Stands Alone: Weekly Summary — Center for Action and Contemplation. Center for Action and Contemplation. Retrieved January 21, 2023, from https://cac.org/daily-meditations/summary-nothing-stands-alone-weekly-summary/ 

Schwager, D. (n.d.). People Were Saying of Jesus, 'He Is beside Himself'. Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations – Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations. Retrieved January 21, 2023, from https://www.dailyscripture.net/daily-meditation/?ds_year=2023&date=jan21 


No comments:

Post a Comment