Saturday, June 18, 2022

Concerning Covenant and Providence

The texts from the Roman Catholic Lectionary today invite us to examine the distractions and concerns in our lives that draw us away from simply living in gratitude and affirmation of the beauty and goodness revealed to us by the Spirit in the people we encounter on our journey.


Seeking a Simple Life


The reading from the Second Book of Chronicles describes Joash’s apostasy and eventual death.



Though the Aramean force was small, the LORD handed over a very large force into their power,h because Judah had abandoned the LORD, the God of their ancestors. So judgment was meted out to Joash. (2 Chronicles, CHAPTER 24, n.d.)


Psalm 89 praises God’s Covenant with David.


* [89:28] Most High: a divine title, which is here extended to David as God’s own king, cf. Ps 2:79; Is 9:5. As God rules over the members of the heavenly council (Ps 89:69), so David, God’s surrogate, rules over earthly kings. (Psalms, PSALM 89, n.d.)


In the Sermon on the Mount, from the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus warns about serving two Masters offering dependence on God so that we do not worry.


* [6:2534] Jesus does not deny the reality of human needs (Mt 6:32), but forbids making them the object of anxious care and, in effect, becoming their slave. (Matthew, CHAPTER 6, n.d.)


Nancy Shirley remembers a quote from Dorothy Day, “to live simply, that others may simply live.” It is not the money that is evil or pulls us away from our true Master, rather the greed of wanting it more and more.  Needless to say, there are so many ways that we can use money to help others.


The gospel goes on to ask us:  Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? . . . . . Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?  There is no room for both worry and pray.  If we say we really trust in the Lord, can we be worrying at the same time?  God will take care of us, if we can trust Him.  As I listened in church this week, I was struck by the thought: am I saved, because I believe, or it is because I am saved that I can believe.  It is a gift – how do I take that gift and serve my Master?  Perhaps, it is just my age, my stage in life but I always seem to have more questions than answers.  How, at this point in my life, can I listen for those answers and hear them, not in a burning bush, rather in those around me?  What can I learn from the homeless, from the sparrows? (Creighton U. Daily Reflection, n.d.)


Don Schwager quotes “The value of life, “by John Chrysostom, 547-407 A.D.


"Note the acceleration of images: just when the lilies are decked out, he no longer calls them lilies but 'grass of the field' (Matthew 6:30 ). He then points further to their vulnerable condition by saying 'which are here today.' Then he does not merely say 'and not tomorrow' but rather more callously 'cast into the oven.' These creatures are not merely 'clothed but 'so clothed' in this way as to be later brought to nothing. Do you see how Jesus everywhere abounds in amplifications and intensifications? And he does so in order to press his points home. So then he adds, 'Will he not much more clothe you?' The force of the emphasis is on 'you' to indicate covertly how great is the value set upon your personal existence and the concern God shows for you in particular. It is as though he were saying, 'You, to whom he gave a soul, for whom he fashioned a body, for whose sake he made everything in creation, for whose sake he sent prophets, and gave the law, and wrought those innumerable good works, and for whose sake he gave up his only begotten Son.'" (excerpt from THE GOSPEL OF MATTHEW, HOMILY 22.1) (Schwager, n.d.)


The Word Among Us Meditation on Matthew 6:24-34 comments that we might think that he had said all that he wanted to say about his Father. But Jesus came back to that theme when he addressed the topic of worries. God the Father takes care of the birds and adorns the flowers, he told them. How much more will he take care of us!


Always remember those pink elephants. Rather than trying to suppress your worried or anxious thoughts, bring them to your heavenly Father, who knows you and cares for you. “Father, I am so grateful you know me. I will look at you, my strength and my hope.” (Meditation on Matthew 6:24-34, n.d.)


Friar Jude Winkler outlines the events in the reign of Joash that involved pagan worship and the execution of the son of the man who had saved him as a child and the conquest of Judah by the Syrians. The master in the world around us calls us to serve possessiveness, material goods, and comfort. Friar Jude advises prudence to save for good purposes and avoid that which we possess becoming our master.



Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM, introduces Thea Bowman (1937–1990), a Franciscan Sister of Perpetual Adoration. Sister Thea offers images of God from the Scriptures and her people to deepen our prayer.


God is bread when you’re hungry, water when you’re thirsty, a harbor from the storm. God’s a father to the fatherless, a mother to the motherless. God’s my sister, my brother, my leader, my guide, my teacher, my comforter, my friend. God’s the way-maker and burden-bearer, a heart-fixer and a mind-regulator. God’s my doctor who never lost a patient, my lawyer who never lost a case, my chaplain who never lost a battle. God’s my all in all, my everything. God’s my rock, my sword, my shield, my lily of the valley, my pearl of great price. . .  Counselor, Emmanuel, redeemer, savior, Prince of Peace, Son of God, Mary’s little baby, wonderful Word of God. These images come from Scripture and from the meditations of Christians. Some people see them as contradictory, but Christians see them as inadequate—all of them. But all these images are available to me. . . . Each one corresponds to a particular need. All these images help me as I call upon God’s name. (Rohr, n.d.)


As we examine the motives for our desire to possess, the Spirit points to action that will free us to trust Providence for our needs.



References

Creighton U. Daily Reflection. (n.d.). Online Ministries. Retrieved June 18, 2022, from https://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/061822.html 

Matthew, CHAPTER 6. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved June 18, 2022, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/matthew/6?24 

Meditation on Matthew 6:24-34. (n.d.). The Word Among Us: Homepage. Retrieved June 18, 2022, from https://wau.org/meditations/2022/06/18/413453/ 

Psalms, PSALM 89. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved June 18, 2022, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/psalms/89?4 

Rohr, R. (n.d.). Franciscan Contemplation and Action: Weekly Summary. Daily Meditations Archive: 2022. Retrieved June 18, 2022, from https://cac.org/daily-meditations/franciscan-contemplation-and-action-weekly-summary-2022-06-18/ 

Schwager, D. (n.d.). Why Are You Anxious - Seek First His Kingdom. Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations – Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations. Retrieved June 18, 2022, from https://www.dailyscripture.net/daily-meditation/?ds_year=2022&date=jun18 

2 Chronicles, CHAPTER 24. (n.d.). USCCB. Retrieved June 18, 2022, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/2chronicles/24?17 


No comments:

Post a Comment