Thursday, October 21, 2021

Interpreting Our Situation

The texts from the Roman Catholic Lectionary today challenge us to review our situation and act to restore our relationships with God and others today.

Events and Change
 

In the reading from the Letter of Paul to the Romans the author declares “Wretched man that I am!” Psalm 119 praises the Glories of God’s Law. The sayings in the Gospel of Luke urge interpreting the time and settling with your opponent.

 

Gladyce Janky imagines a conversation between Jesus and a servant girl that reveals her role in relation to God and others.
Teacher, I think I know what you are saying.  As a servant, I must always be attentive to my mistress. Even when I am sleeping, she might call for me.  She often expects me to interpret her needs before she asks.  If there is a disagreement among the servants, she expects us to work things out, not bring our complaints to her. I hear you saying that I should be even more attentive to God's voice than my mistress.  I should always be listening, watching, and interpreting the signs of His presence to live according to His statutes.  And, I should seek to live in harmony with others, finding ways to accept and love them rather than relying on the law to settle differences. Jesus, smiling at Sarah, put one hand on her shoulder, raised his eyes toward heaven, and loudly proclaimed, blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom (Mt 11:25).2

 

Don Schwager quotes  “Signs from the Law point to the dawn of the Mystery of Christ,” by Cyril of Alexandria (376-444 AD).

"People focus their attention on things of this kind. From long observation and practice they tell beforehand when rain will fall or violent winds will blow. One especially sees that sailors are very skillful in this matter. He says that it would be suitable for those who can calculate things of this sort and may foretell storms that are about to happen to focus the penetrating eyes of the mind also on important matters. What are these? The law showed beforehand the mystery of Christ, that he would shine out in the last ages of the world on the inhabitants of the earth and submit to be a sacrifice for the salvation of all. It even commanded a lamb to be sacrificed as a type of him who died towards evening and at lighting of lamps (Exodus 12:6). "We might now understand that when, like the day, this world was declining to its close, the great, precious and truly saving passion would be fulfilled. The door of salvation would be thrown wide open to those who believe in him, and abundant happiness be their share. In the Song of Songs, we also find Christ calling to the bride described there. The bride personally represents the church, in these words, 'Arise, come, my neighbor, my beautiful dove. Look, the winter is past, and the rain is gone. It has passed away. The flowers appear on the ground. The time of the pruning has come' (Song 2:10-12). As I said, a certain springlike calm was about to arise for those who believe in him." (excerpt from COMMENTARY ON LUKE, HOMILY 95)3
 

The Word Among Us Meditation on Luke 12:54-59 reflects that “Carpe diem”; seize the day! is often associated with seeking pleasure or living selfishly, but for Christians, it can remind us to follow Jesus today lest we miss the grace that God offers us.

We can struggle to take hold of God’s call for our lives. St. Paul describes it in personal terms: “I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want” (Romans 7:19). Like the disciples and like Paul, we are ready to grab hold of the grace Jesus offers us at one moment, but we don’t even notice him in the next. Even so, Jesus stands before us, just as he stood before the crowd—with grace for today. Wherever you are, today is your moment of visitation (Luke 19:44). Jesus says, “I am with you. Let me help you. I have grace that will open your eyes, change your heart, and help you take the next step in following me.” The time is now. Seize the day. “Lord, help me to seize the grace you offer me today.”4 

Friar Jude Winkler shares insight about the readings today. Richard Rohr, OFM, comments on the systemic evils in our culture. Events of the day may present an opportunity to respond to the prompting of the Spirit to change in direction.

 

References

 

1

(n.d.). Friday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time | USCCB. Retrieved October 22, 2021, from https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/102221.cfm 

2

(n.d.). Creighton U Daily Reflections - Online Ministries. Retrieved October 22, 2021, from https://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/102221.html 

3

(n.d.). Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations. Retrieved October 22, 2021, from https://www.dailyscripture.net/daily-meditation/?ds_year=2021&date=oct22 

4

(n.d.). The Word Among Us: Homepage. Retrieved October 22, 2021, from https://wau.org/meditations/2021/10/22/228923/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment