Thursday, July 16, 2020

Level and Straight

The texts from the Roman Catholic Lectionary today offer guidance to help us to seek the level and straight path for our life journey.
Straight and level

The reading from the Book of the Prophet Isaiah declares the way of the righteous is level.
 * [26:1–19] This text is a mixture of praise for the salvation that will take place, a confession of Judah’s inability to achieve deliverance on its own, and earnest prayer that God may quickly bring about the longed-for salvation.1
Psalm 102 is a prayer to the Eternal King for help for prisoners.
 * [Psalm 102] A lament, one of the Penitential Psalms. The psalmist, experiencing psychological and bodily disintegration (Ps 102:4–12), cries out to God (Ps 102:1–3). In the Temple precincts where God has promised to be present, the psalmist recalls God’s venerable promises to save the poor (Ps 102:13–23). The final part (Ps 102:24–28) restates the original complaint and prayer, and emphasizes God’s eternity.2
The Gospel of Matthew highlights the gentle mastery of Christ.
 * [11:29] In place of the yoke of the law, complicated by scribal interpretation, Jesus invites the burdened to take the yoke of obedience to his word, under which they will find rest; cf. Jer 6:16.3
Nancy Shirely thought how perfect this gospel is for us at this time.… She understands the message but how do we “come to Him?”
 When I look at it logically, some of the answers are clearer.  God has not moved away, I have!  I have let this crazy world dictate to me.  I can pray more; I can find quiet time away from emails and Zoom meetings – all of this is within my abilities and desires.  Why are my feet stuck in such clay?  Writing the reflection demands that I stop and, indeed, reflect.  I am reminded that I am a loved sinner.  I have feet of clay, I make many mistakes and no matter what, I am still loved.  I am loved by someone willing to take my burdens, to teach me, to allow me to share the yoke with Him and find rest.  I need to find refreshment for my soul.4
Don Schwager comments that Jesus says his yoke is "easy". The Greek word for "easy" can also mean "well-fitting". Yokes were tailor-made to fit the oxen well. Oxen were yoked two by two. Jesus invites us to be yoked with him, to unite our life with his life, our will with his will, and our heart with his heart. To be yoked with Jesus is to be united with him in a relationship of love, trust, and obedience. Schwager quotes “Grace bear us,” by an anonymous early author from the Greek church.
 "'My yoke is easy and my burden light.' ... The prophet says this about the burden of sinners: 'Because my iniquities lie on top of my head, so they have also placed a heavy burden on me' (Psalm 38:4)' ...'Place my yoke upon you, and learn from me that I am gentle and humble of heart.' Oh, what a very pleasing weight that strengthens even more those who carry it! For the weight of earthly masters gradually destroys the strength of their servants, but the weight of Christ rather helps the one who bears it, because we do not bear grace; grace bears us. It is not for us to help grace, but rather grace has been given to aid us.' (excerpt from INCOMPLETE WORK ON MATTHEW, HOMILY, the Greek fathers).5
The Word Among Us Meditation on Matthew 11:28-30 comments that today, Jesus is issuing an invitation: “Come to me” (Matthew 11:28). Only this time it’s not an invitation to a wedding or a party but to a person. It’s not an invitation to a special event with a beginning and an end but to a relationship that never ends.
 Even better, this invitation doesn’t require you to go out and buy a new outfit. No, you are free to come to him exactly as you are. Don’t even try to hide your burdens or concerns. Bring them with you! The difficult work environment, the wayward child, the ailing parent, the persistent patterns of sin. Bring it all with you, and let Jesus give you rest and relief.6
Friar Jude Winkler fleshes out the words of the author from the Book of Isaiah about resurrection expressed with humour. The custom made yoke of Jesus straightens the furrows of our life journey. Friar Jude expresses how we are joined with Jesus in humility as a co-worker.




Fr. Richard Rohr, OFM, has been especially influenced by Dorothee Soelle’s (1929–2003) book “The Silent Cry: Mysticism and Resistance.” Kerry Walters and Robin Jarrell describe this contemplative activist.
 The reason for this, says Soelle, is that mystics have been liberated from the three powers that typically hold humans in bondage: ego, possession, and violence. They recognize that the standardly accepted division between I and not-I is an artificial one born from overvaluing oneself and competing with others for possessions . . . [which] in turn sets the stage for the “onset of violence.” But the genuine mystic understands that his or her connection with the divine is likewise a connection to all other humans and, indeed, to all of creation—a relationship, as Soelle said, that “borrows the eyes of God.” [1] Patterns of opposition and resistance bred by the division of I and not-I collapse to be replaced by ones of mutuality and community. Violence becomes obsolete, because the conditions necessary for its eruption disappear.7
Our understanding of how we are connected to the universe is strengthened by our sharing a yoke with Jesus on our journey.

References

1
(n.d.). Isaiah, chapter 26. Retrieved July 16, 2020, from http://www.usccb.org/bible/isaiah/26 
2
(n.d.). Psalms, chapter 102 - United States Conference of Catholic .... Retrieved July 16, 2020, from http://www.usccb.org/bible/psalms/102 
3
(n.d.). Matthew, chapter 11. Retrieved July 16, 2020, from http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/11:28 
4
(n.d.). Daily Reflections - OnlineMinistries .... Retrieved July 16, 2020, from https://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/daily.html 
5
(n.d.). Daily Scripture Readings and Meditations – Daily Scripture .... Retrieved July 16, 2020, from https://www.dailyscripture.net/daily-meditation/ 
6
(n.d.). The Word Among Us. Retrieved July 16, 2020, from https://wau.org/meditations/2020/07/16/174233/ 
7
(2020, July 16). Mysticism and Nonviolence — Center for Action and .... Retrieved July 16, 2020, from https://cac.org/mysticism-and-nonviolence-2020-07-16/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment