Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Shout with a voice of joy to God

The texts today from the Roman Catholic Lectionary present descriptions of the relationship between God and people. Jacob experiences a struggle with the tensions between the Divine will and human will. The struggle changes Jacob. He acquires a new name and a new understanding of the intimacy offered to people by God. The psalmist is in praise of God who acts to “Guard me as the apple of the eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings, As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness” (Psalm 17:8, 15). The psalmist appears to celebrate this Divine action for one who considers himself righteous. Perhaps the emphasis is for one who strives to be righteous and the judgement of this right relationship is left to God. Matthew tells of Jesus action to bring those who cannot hear or understand to relationship with the Shepherd. The joy of intimacy with God needs to be demonstrated to so many. Jesus calls for more believers to bring more people to shoot with joy to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment